Re: IETF vs. NANOG

> I was thouroughly dissapointed to see these comments from one Valdis
> Kletnieks who does not seem to be to impressed by the NANOG crew:

I didn't say that.  I said that you need to filter the answers you get.

> Just be prepared to view any answers you get with some suspicion.  Although
> the great majority of the NANOG crew is at least semi-clued and willing to
> be helpful, it is still possible to start quite the flame-fest just by

See? I said the majority *are* clued and helpful..

> suggesting that an ISP shouldn't number its point-to-point links out of
> RFC1918 space, because that breaks Path MTU Discovery for those sites that
> do rational martian filtering at their ingress routers.

Umm.. like we *dont* have that flame-fest, and variants thereof, on NANOG on a
regular basis?

> And I'll not go into the flamefests you can start with mentioning the
> blocking
> or filtering of ports, except to say "Comcast". ;)

Seems we *did* have this flame-fest on NANOG too...

> Bait&switch advertising (what bandwidth did you *really* buy with your
> money)
> and the distinction between "residential" and "commercial" service
> (basically,
> the latter seems to mean you have a snowball's chance of getting the
> bandwidth
> they hinted you'd get, and possibly a tech support phone number that gets
> you
> somebody clued rather than "try rebooting") are other good "hot buttons".

And this one, on a regular basis - *HOW* often do we see flames of 'If you
wanted "business" service you should have paid for it' on NANOG (even when
there seems to be no actual difference other than the money paid)?

> Regarding "regulated monopolies" - forget it, unless you have an enlightened
> 'Public Utilities Commision' that is actually something other than a rubber
> stamp for the utility in question.

We don't have those problems?

> Bottom line - the NANOG crew is a great resource if you need to know how to
> get a Cisco or Juniper to tap-dance "Singing in the Rain".  It's also a good
> place for a flame-fest on what the preferred Astaire dance for a Juniper is
> ;)

See? I said again that it's a good resource...

> Can some of the mature NANOG folk please help Bob?

I'm sure Bob will get help - he'll just have to filter it to some degree.

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer