From: Paul Day [mailto:bonfire@bur.st]
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 10:49 AM
Cc: ietf@ietf.org
Subject: RE: PPP

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Michel Gilbert wrote:
> It is essentially a Data Link Layer protocol, operating at Layer 2.

Bill was after where it fits into the TCP/IP model. I think you've got
that mixed up with the OSI model? :)

Layer 2 under the TCP/IP model is the "Internet" layer, which corresponds
to layer 3, "Network", of the OSI model.

If we want to get picky though, you could say PPP overlaps layer 1 and 2
of the TCP/IP model, so saying "Layer 2" isn't incorrect, but by using the
term "Data Link" as opposed to "Internet" fot layer 2 makes me think
you're referring of the OSI model.

*Back in his box now*

PD

--