Re: Sending packets out of schedule?

Hi Christian,

I would like to mention that the previous email was my own opinion
(i.e., I am not sure if these are officially agreed in the DCCP group).

>>> may I ask a simply question? Is it possible to send DCCP packets
>>> at other times than those calculated by the rate control? I mean,
>>> is it possible to call a send socket call with an option saying,
>>> send this packet immediately no matter that the rate control is
>>> saying to you?
>>>
>> In my opinion and experience, this is possible - after all, DCCP
>> calculates the *suggested* sending rate.
>
> Cool. Thus, I just have to change the ccid3_hc_tx_packet_sent
> function in ccid3.c. If, for example, a packet is mark as urgent
> (somehow), then I can drop the scheduling of packet transmission [RFC
> 3448, 4.6] but send the packet immediately?

Perhaps, yes. I would think, however, that your additional mechanism
might need some sort of agreement/consensus in the DCCP group, if you
were to change ccid3_hc_tx_packet method.

Alternatively, you could make your additional mechanism as a choice of
an application, if there is a way (i.e., it could be an implementation
choice at an application level).

>>> The background of my questions is based on the experience, that
>>> real-time packets shall be send immediately, especially if a
>>> scenario of very interactivity is given, and that some codecs
>>> cannot change their sending rate immediately but need some extra
>>> time (e.g. one or two additional frame periods). Thus, a less
>>> strict sending schedule would help.
>>>

>> You might want to change the codec itself to interact with DCCP in
>> real time, so that the codec can change the necessary parameters
>> (e.g., various encoding parameters) when needed.
>
> Yes, that is what we are doing. However, due to calculation speed and
> queuing, this cannot happen immediately but only with a slight delay.
> Also, we need to support a frame size of 2.5 ms instead of 10ms. This
> should be still ok?

I am not quite sure what are the requirements of your applications, but
the earlier email today from Ingemar might be relevant/helpful to this
question.

Thanks,
Soo-Hyun