Sending packets out of schedule?

Hello,

may I ask a simply question? Is it possible to send DCCP packets at
other times than those calculated by the rate control? I mean, is it possible to call a send socket call with an option saying, send this packet immediately no matter that the rate control is saying to you?

The role of DCCP would be to calculate the proposed sending rate and to measure the network round trip time. This data is then used by an application specific rate control.

The background of my questions is based on the experience, that real-time packets shall be send immediately, especially if a scenario of very interactivity is given, and that some codecs cannot change their sending rate immediately but need some extra time (e.g. one or two additional frame periods). Thus, a less strict sending schedule would help.

Thanks for any help and comments.

With best regards,
 Christian

Dr.-Ing. Christian Hoene
Interactive Communication Systems (ICS), University of TÃbingen
Sand 13, 72076 TÃbingen, Germany, Phone +49 7071 2970532
http://www.net.uni-tuebingen.de/