Re: New I-D revision: TFRC with sender-RTT estimate

Hi all,

I'm glad to see this as a DCCP draft. Although some of the descriptions of problems are surprising, they are not that contentious; and the option itself seems, simply, useful.

Some comments on the draft itself.

* I might prefer to reorder Section 3 and Section 2. Lead with the option, follow with the justification.

* It is slightly too bad to use 4 bytes for an RTT Estimate option, when in most cases the two more significant bytes will be zero. However, I defer to the proposers on whether the implementation effort of a variable length option would be worth the benefit.

* I would put a maximum meaningful value on the Sender RTT Estimate. In particular, since retransmission timers back off to at most 64 seconds, 64000000 seems like an upper bound on the maximum meaningful Sender RTT Estimate.

* S3.3 "When the Send RTT Estimate FEATURE [sic, note added word] is disabled, the sender MUST NOT send RTT Estimate options...." Why not? DCCP receivers will correctly ignore RTT Estimate options they do not understand. And it would seem useful to take advantage of RTT Estimates whether or not they were required. The document should also perhaps define what happens if a sender agrees to Send RTT Estimate and then doesn't actually do so (or sends 0 for too long).

A first thought:

- If Send RTT Estimate is 1, the sender MUST provide RTT Estimate options on the described packets. - If Send RTT Estimate is 1, the receiver MUST use the provided RTT Estimates in place of the CCVal window counter values. (Note: The current doc says MUST NOT estimate the RTT using CCVal. Of course, an implementation MIGHT estimate the RTT that way; it's just not supposed to USE that estimate.)
  - If Send RTT Estimate is 0, the sender MAY provide RTT Estimate options.
- If Send RTT Estimate is 0, the receiver MAY use provided RTT Estimate options to augment RTTs estimated another way, but MUST use CCVal window counter values or other RTT estimation techniques when valid RTT Estimates are not available. - Invalid RTT Estimates: A packet without an RTT Estimate option is considered to have an RTT Estimate of 0. - Invalid RTT Estimates: [TOTAL GUESSWORK -- DO WE ACTUALLY NEED TO SPECIFY?] If at least 64 consecutive packets are received with zero RTT Estimates, the receiver MUST treat the RTT Estimate as 64000000. ????????????????

Thanks much, Gerrit and Gorry, for this useful work.
Eddie