Re: WGLC for dccp-udpencap

Hello all,

I understand that WGLC for this draft has concluded, but in case comments are useful, here are several. I strongly approve of the document; it is a clean and useful spec and a good advance on prior versions, whether or not these comments are addressed. The only technical comment has to do with demultiplexing; this is important to address.

* Ports (section 3.1): I agree with those who have commented about the oddity of "normally both [souce & destination ports] are the default port to be assigned by IANA". I agree with Gorry & the document that it is useful to have a default port. But keeping the src&dst ports as the default is unnecessary and unlikely to hold.

I would change the explanation as follows. Note the third paragraph, set off with %%%. This is new text. I think we must mention demultiplexing (whether the UDP Ports are ignored for demultiplexing purposes), and I believe that demultiplexing MUST consider UDP Ports as well as DCCP ports: there is a risk that the same DCCP Source Port will be used by two endpoints behind a NAT, as in the ASCII art diagram below.

  S1 --> UDP sport U1, DCCP sport D1,
         UDP dport UX, DCCP dport DX
             \
              v      UDP sport U1, DCCP sport D1, UDP dport UX, DCCP dport DX
             NAT =========================================> SERVER
              ^      UDP sport U2*, DCCP sport D1, UDP dport UX, DCCP dport DX
             /
  S2 --> UDP sport U1, DCCP sport D1,
         UDP dport UX, DCCP dport DX

  * To prevent ambiguity the NAT changes S2's UDP sport; all else remains the
    same; the NAT cannot reach into the DCCP header to change those ports.
    If DCCP-STD were used with a DCCP-aware NAT, one of the DCCP sports would
    change.

BEGIN TEXT

Source and Dest(ination) Ports: 16 bits each

These fields identify the UDP ports used for the encapsulated DCCP connection. Note that they do not identify the DCCP source and destination ports.

A DCCP-UDP server (that is, an initially passive host that receives DCCP-Request packets [RFC 4340]) MAY reserve a UDP port number for all encapsulated DCCP connections. In this case, DCCP-UDP packets arriving at the server will have the same UDP Destination Port. UDP port number XXX has been registered with IANA for this purpose. A DCCP-UDP client MAY use this port number as its UDP Source Port as well. However, any DCCP-UDP endpoint MAY use any UDP port numbers (as long as the active endpoint knows a valid UDP Destination Port on the passive endpoint).

%%% The identifier for a DCCP-UDP connection is the 6-tuple <source address, UDP Source Port, DCCP Source Port, destination address, UDP Destination Port, DCCP Destination Port>, rather than a 4-tuple <source address, source port, destination address, destination port>. %%%

END TEXT

* Checksum (section 3.1): "This field is the Internet checksum of a network-layer pseudoheader and the UDP packet." -- Might be nice to mention here that 0 checksums aren't allowed, as well as in S3.3.

* S3.3: It might be nice to refer to DCCP's Data Checksum option, pointing out that, unlike the DCCP-Checksum header field, the Data Checksum option MUST be processed as usual.

Eddie