Re: Review in WGLC for draft-ietf-dccp-udpencap-02.txt.

Please see clarifications sin-line,

Gorry

On 31/08/2010 20:14, Phelan, Tom wrote:
Hi Gorry,

Thanks for the close read and the comments.  See inline...

Tom P.

-----Original Message-----
From: dccp-bounces@xxxxxxxx [mailto:dccp-bounces@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of
Gorry Fairhurst
Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 2:42 PM
To: 'dccp' working group
Cc: Phelan, Tom
Subject:  Review in WGLC for draft-ietf-dccp-udpencap-02.txt.

I have read the latest version of this specification during the WGLC
and
believe this is an important topic to publish a document.

The current draft appears to have addressed issues I think were
important and would seem nearly ready for publication, however I do
have
some queries, as listed below.

Best wishes,

Gorry

---
Section 3.3
- I think some sections miss context on why the decision was made,
e.g.
in 3.3, please do say briefly why the WG chose to do this.
[TomP] I'm not sure what you mean here.  Do you mean that we chose not
to support partial checksums?

GF: A sentence saying WHY the WG decided not to allow partial checksums - i.e. at least to say DCCP requires a checksum of the DCCP protocol data (and by default the DCCP applications payload), so UDP checksum must not be disabled.
---
Section 3.3.1:
- Have you thought about whether this section should also reaffirm
that
the checksum value in the encapsulated DCCP header is always zero?

GF: I'd like to see the draft capture in a sentence WHY this decision was made by the WG. For instance, this could be based on a need to support traversal on NAT/NAPT middleboxes that modify the endpoint IP addresses (and possibly ports) - these devices typically update the outer (UDP) checksum but a device that is not aware of DCCP-in-UDP would not know to also update an inner DCCP checksum.
- replace /Chesksums/ with /Checksums/
[TomP] I don't see a reason to say that receiver should verify that the
DCCP checksum is zero.

I've fixed the typo.

---
Section 6:
/The option is a binary one however; either allow all DCCP
     applications or allow none./
- This seems a little harsh. The options based on the UDP-header are
as
stated. A firewall than interprets this specification could in
principle
look inside the UDP encaps and filter based on DCCP information.

It doesn't sound that implausible given the sophistication of many
current firewalls, however it would be extra complexity that would
need
to be justified. In my opinion, we should encourage this, so that
firewalls can open pin-holes for DCCP in the same way as they do for
other transports.

[TomP] Well, I do think that will be the case in many situations, and it
is the case with security implications, so I think it should be
mentioned.  How about adding a parenthetical, "(unless the firewall
supports flexible deep packet inspection rules)".

GF: So, I wouldn't like the new text a lot more. It prejudges the way firewalls are designed. I'd much prefer to invert the argument and say three things:

* There are many behaviours for middleboxes acting as firewalls. This depends in part on the protocols that they are configured to interpret.

* A firewall that only inspects the UDP header would only be able to filter on the source, not on each DCCP connection or application using DCCP ... ... on the ports point, I'm still unclear what port values you expect a firewall to see when there are multiple DCCP-in-UDP endpoints behind a NAPT, sharing an address - I expect these flows to be assigned different ports based on the source.

* A firewall that is aware of this encaps may inspect the inner DCCP header...

---
- I see the value of the IANA-specified destination port for a client
server app using a NAPT, where the NAPT changes only the src port as
it
leaves the client, and does this differently for each sender address
behind the NAPT. What is the expected port usage at the receiver? Does
it listen on the IANA port bound to any source port? Can you say more
here?

[TomP] So section 3.1 says:
    Source and Dest(ination) Ports: 16 bits each

       These fields identify the UDP ports on which the source and
       destination (respectively) of the packet are listening for
       incoming DCCP-UDP packets (normally both are the default port to
       be assigned by IANA).  Note that they do not identify the DCCP
       source and destination ports.

I don't know that I see any necessary changes here, except it should
probably mention that the port values can be changed along the way by
NAPT boxes.  You say, "Does it listen on the IANA port bound to any
source port?"  I assume by this you mean will it accept an incoming
packet with any source port?  Do we need to open this UDP can of worms?

GF: We don't need to open the can of worms, but it may be wise to realise that if the intention is to travserse middleboxes that the ports (in particular the src port from a "client") may be updated by a middlebox, e.g. NAPT, and therefore a receiver should expect that one (or both) ports may be different to the IANA assigned value.
---