Re: Fwd: [Iccrg] MulTFRC draft review

Hi,

On 2010-1-20, at 16:17, Michael Welzl wrote:
> This draft is step 1 of a 2-step plan, which emulates
> what happened with TFRC: first, we want to publish
> a general specification of the congestion control
> mechanism. Second, we want to publish a CCID
> specification for DCCP (which we haven't yet written,
> but intend to).

I note that CCIDs 248-254 are reserved for experimental use, so there's not an immediate need to publish a WG document here either, if the intent is to enable experimentation.

We'd also need to bake MulTFRC for a bit. We did find a number of issues with RFC3448 (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5348#section-9) that we fixed in RFC5348 five years later, and those again lead to changes in the CCIDs. We'd be signing up to do quite a bit of analysis and experimentation if we want to get MulTFRC and its CCID similarly stable.

> At least the latter should be brought here,
> I suppose, and since it seemed to fit the charter (and
> the chairs agreed about this), I'm proposing it here.

Yes, it could fit under the current "modular extensions to DCCP" work item.

The key question, as always, is: does the community have the interest and energy to actively develop MulTFRC and add a CCID for it to DCCP?

> Additionally, this group doesn't seem to be very busy.

Which is why I was hoping to declare victory and close it sooner rather than later...

Lars