DCCP meeting notes, San Francisco

Here are the notes from Monday's meeting - many thanks to Pasi for
acting as scribe. This draft copy will be uploaded to the proceedings.

As usual, please review the notes and send any comments to me.

Best wishes,

Gorry
(as DCCP co-chair)

DCCP meeting notes / Monday, March 23, 17:40
Chair: Gorry Fairhurst
Notetaker: Pasi Sarolahti

1. Agenda Bashing

* Sally Floyd: I haven not been to IETF for a while. I see that there
are not many people in the WG, does this mean that DCCP is going to be
dormant?
* Gorry: Many of the documents on our charter are now complete. Now
would be a good time to take new work. There are groups like ledbat that
are talking about perhaps using DCCP. We need new work, otherwise we
should make the activity dormant, please give it a thought and if you
have ideas, come talk about it.

2. Document Status

Gorry presented document status -- overall it is good:
* DCCP service codes, simultaneous open are waiting for write-up
* DCCP-RTP is in RFC editor's queue (awaiting a REF)

The RTP port assignments for DCCP have been clarified with IANA, current
assignments were shown.

* Steve Casner: Do these ports have more value for DCCP than for RTP/UDP?
* Gorry: The reason for doing this is that we have service codes as
well, so we can have either static or dynamic allocation.
* Rémi Denis-Courmont: It is used as a default value. My point was that,
RTP recommends even/odd ports pairs. That cannot be obtained with the
standard port 0 bind socket call, so an explicit default value is
needed. Unfortunately, this might break the recommendation to use
pseudo-random port numbers for security reasons. This is not an issue
since these are the same in UDP anyway.

Milestone update -- quick look at how the WG is doing with the milestones.

Service codes update
* This completed WG last call, now waiting for the document write-up.

Simultaneous open update
* This completed WG last call, waiting for document write-up.

* Lars Eggert: The shepherding process is not working for these
documents. Tom is busy and Gorry is the author. Suggest that we apply a
bit of a different process for shepherding in this case. A writeup will
be prepared and Lars will shepherd the document.

3. Active WG Drafts

3.1 Documents to be considered for WGLC:

Quick-Start for DCCP (Gorry Fairhurst/A. Sathiaseelan)
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dccp-qs-02.txt

* The protocol spcification is more or less stable since draft -00, the
authors have been working on getting the details right.
* Changes in ver. -02 contains clarifications, harmonizing behavior on
different CCIDs, combine together and apply same principles for
different CCIDs.
* Updated the QS response behavior in the absence of feedback.
* Clarification about using common timer resource for validation and
nofeedback timers, instead of separate timers, based on implementor
feedback.
* Corrected nits.
* People were asked to review the document, and comments were received
from Vincent Roca and Sally Floyd. An Email was sent to the mailing list
to check these issues have now been addressed properly. I think this is
a sign that the document is now quite mature.

* Gorry (as chair): Are there any comments about the draft from the
audience? No comments.
* What next?
    * Algorithms are stable
    * Seems ready for WGLC, milestone is now due
* Who has read the document? Few hands.
* Any implementation reports? No.
* Is this ready for a WGLC for the next version? Few are supporting, no
one against.
* Who would volunteer reading the next revision in WGLC?
    * Sally Floyd, Pasi Sarolahti.
* Gorry encouraged others to read and send comments.
* The WG decided to go for WG last call in the next few weeks.

DCCP CCID4: TFRC with Small Packets (Sally Floyd, et al)
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ccid4-03.txt

* This has been around for a while.
* Changes are small, updated TFRC references (new version RFC 5348
instead of the old RFC 3448), added section on experimental status of
this document, and some minor editing.
* Sally reviewed the recent history of previous documents affecting this
one, from the original TFRC specification (2003), CCID-3 (2006),
small-packet variant, TFRC-bis that obsoletes original TFRC. (There was
a timeline diagram in the proceedings).
* CCID-4 has references to TFRC and small packet variant. There are
multiple references to the past documents that have been updated since.
These should be OK, since this is intended to be just an experimental
document. It has just been waiting for RFC 5348 to come out. Sally is
not aware of any conflicts between these documents. She is not planning
to go through the revising process to get the dependencies of TFRC and
CCID-3 aligned, but this is clearly something that would be helpful for
implementors.

* Sally asked if this was ready for WG last call? There are no
interesting technical issues here.
* Lars: Is there a paragraph that explains the referencing dependencies?
This would be useful to add if there is not.
* Sally: I am pretty sure there is.
* Gorry (as chair): This has been near WGLC for some time. I sent a note
to the list asking for people to consider this for WGLC. There were no
comments against, and some feedback from Arjuna on nits, but he thought
this was ready.
* Gorry: If no one is against publishing this, we will now go to WG last
call.
* Hum, vote did not have anyone for or against, but there has been
support on the mailing list, so will start WGLC after this meeting.

3.2 Other WG documents

Faster restart for TFRC (Sally Floyd, et al) - The I-D has expired.
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dccp-tfrc-faster-restart-06.txt

* This is waiting for another revision, with some simulations to analyse
the issues.
* TFRC-bis has held this back, requiring simulation work to be restarted.
* There are some very recent simulations that we expect to become
available on this (from Arjuna). Sally will look at the results and
consider what the authors would like to do next.
* She expects there will be a new revision.

4. Individual Submissions

DCCP/UDP (Tom Phelan)
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-phelan-dccp-natencap-01.txt

The author was not in the meeting, this agenda item was skipped.

6. Implementor Feedback

* People continue to use DCCP, we know there are downloads of the most
recent Linux implementation from the Aberdeen git server.
* Rémi Denis-Courmont: I have been using with DStream. I spotted a bug
in the CCID-3 congestion control support, and this was fixed.

5. New Proposed Work (?)

* Gorry: Our charter allows us looking at new forms of congestion
control. We should think what DCCP should be doing in the future.
* Sally: I would be interested to know what all the non-TCP apps are
doing for congestion control. What is happening in the real world?
* Gorry: Part of this sounds like things being discussed in the ledbat WG.
* Lars: Yes, this accounts for a lot of the non-TCP traffic.
* Lars: Another thing I would like to see is congestion control for
control traffic. The UDP guidelines talks about other applications that
need congestion control. There are some applications where TFRC does not
fit.  It would be nice to support signaling protocols, such as
bi-directional forwarding detection. This is an application demanding a
certain probing rate. There are apps that have a high bandwidth mode and
a low bandwidth mode. This is not necessary DCCP, but the expertise is here.
* Sally: This sounds similar to multicast congestion control.
* Magnus Westerlund: The only multicast congestion control work we have
in RMT is around ALC.
* Gorry: We could also think of much cruder congestion control that does
not have huge demands for bandwidth, but needs to adapt in the face of
congestion. DCCP could provide the framework, packet formats, etc. for
defining such a congestion control.

Meeting concluded.