Re: feedback on draft-ietf-dccp-quickstart-02.txt

Thanks Sally,

As arjuna said, we appreciate your review and Vincent's review.

All you comments were useful. Here are our proposed updates to the draft text.

Gorry & Arjuna

Sally Floyd wrote:
Gorry and Arjuna -

This looks fine to me.

One sentence needs to be corrected:

Section 2.4 says the following:
"Reception of a Quick-Start Response packet results in the sender
entering the Quick-Start Mode."

I think this needs to be rephrased.  Later text gives conditions
when the reception of a Quick-Start Response packet doesn't result
in the sender entering the Quick-Start Mode.  E.g., when "the
approved Quick-Start rate is less than current sending rate".

I suggest:
Reception of a Quick-Start Response packet that approves a rate higher than the current rate results in the sender entering the Quick-Start Mode.

The rest of my feedback below is all nits and typos and such.

- Sally
http://www.icir.org/floyd/

NIts and typos:

Introduction, next to last paragraph:
"Rate-based protocols (e.g. TFRC [RFC5348], CCID-3
[RFC4342]) have a different feedback mechanism compared to TCP,
where feedback may be sent less frequently (e.g. once per RTT)."
->
"Rate-based protocols (e.g. TFRC [RFC5348], CCID-3
[RFC4342]) have a different feedback mechanism than that of TCP.
With rate-based protocols,
feedback may be sent less frequently (e.g. once per RTT)."
Done.

Introduction:
"implement different mechanism" -> "implement a different mechanism"
Done.

Section 2.3:
Could you swap the last two paragraphs?
Yes, Updated text.

Secton 2.3, next to last paragraph:
"Request, therefore" -> "Request therefore"
Done.

Section 2.5, first paragraph:
"period, during" -> "period during"
Done.

Section 2.5, second paragraph:
"when sender" -> "when the sender"
Done.

Section 2.5, Figure 2:
It might be more clear to have this for Quick-Start Mode:

| Quick-Start Packets -->                      |
|                 <-- Feedback A from Receiver |
|              (first feedback of a QS Packet) |
| Quick-Start Packets -->                      |
|                 <-- Feedback B from Receiver |
|                 (feedback of all QS Packets) |
| Receipt of Feedback A

I changed it to this:

                   DCCP Sender                     DCCP Receiver
Quick-Start      +----------------------------------------------+
Request/Response | Quick-Start Request -->                      |
                 |                    <-- Quick-Start Response  |
                 | Quick-Start Approve -->                      |
Quick-Start      | Quick-Start Packets -->                      |
Mode             | Quick-Start Packets -->                      |
                 |                  <-- Feedback A from Receiver|
                 |               (acknowledging first QS Packet)|
                 +----------------------------------------------
Quick-Start      | Packets -->                                  |
Validation Phase |                  <-- Feedback B from Receiver|
                 |                (acknowledging all QS Packets)|
                 +----------------------------------------------
DCCP             | Packets -->                                  |
Congestion       |                  <-- Feedback C from Receiver|
Control          |                                              |

       Figure 2.  The Quick-Start Mode and Validation Phase.

And then the Quick-Start Validation Phase could end with
"Receipt of Feedback B".
Added this.

Section 2.5, last paragraph:
"congestion, stops" -> "congestion stops"
Done.

Section 2.7, next to last paragraph:
"effects multiple connections" -> "affects multiple connections"
Done.

The sections go 2.8, then 2.8, then 2.10.
Fixed, but Vincents comments will update section numbering too.

Section 2.10, last paragraph:
"connnection, and" -> "connnection and"
Done.

Section 3.2:
"CCID-3, leads" -> "CCID-3 leads"
Done.

Section 3.2.4, third paragraph:
"congestion, stops" -> "congestion stops"
Done.

Section 3.3.1:
"packet per second" -> "packets per second"
Done.

Section 4.2, second paragraph:
"link or network-layer paths" -> "links or network-layer paths"
Done.