Re: WGLC for draft-ietf-dccp-simul-open-05 - following up on comments

Gorry Fairhurst wrote:
- It is not reasonable to restrict Listen packets to carry no options. A use may be found for Listen options one day. It suffices to say that Listen packets are currently ignored. This includes any options on Listen packets.

My understanding was that the suggested outcome of the last IETF was that Options were allowed - but were not defined. This allowed some subsequent evolution of the method if this were to be needed and text was suggested to this effect (I think by Colin). If you think the text says different, please do let us know.

The current text says that Data Offset is 0. I assumed you meant 20, which prohibits options altogether by eliminating any space for them. The text also says that options MUST be ignored. This is different from prohibiting them and better. But I would not prohibit them and I would not say they MUST be ignored. I would simply demonstrate via pseudocode that DCCP-Listen packets are ignored by endpoints as a whole.

- "MUST NOT carry payload data" => No other DCCP packet has this restriction. Simply say, as for the other packet types, that payload data is ignored.

This was discussed at the last two IETF meetings, and the thinking at the time was since the packet contained no sequence number (because the protocol machine has not yet reached this stage), it could not be used to carry data.

Like I said, payload data will be ignored.

RFC4340 section 5 intro:

   The application data area follows the header.  In some
   packet types, this area contains data for the application; in other
   packet types, its contents are ignored.

Please see also RFC4340's definitions of DCCP-Ack, DCCP-Sync, DCCP-SyncAck, DCCP-CloseReq, DCCP-Close, and DCCP-Reset packets, none of which carry application data, but all of which allow a nonempty application data area.

This kind of arbitrary departure from previously established RFC semantics is disappointing and another reason the document does not feel quite ready yet.

It should probably include new pseudocode, additions and modifications to RFC4340 Section 8.5, handling INVITED state and the receipt of Listen packets.

Need to think.

From previous experience I will just say that without explicit and thought through pseudocode it is extremely likely state machine errors will be introduced.

Eddie