Re: WGLC for draft-ietf-dccp-simul-open-05 - following up on comments

Thanks for your comments.

Please see responses in line,

Eddie Kohler wrote:
The document's basic outline seems fine. Using a new packet type for this purpose seems fine. The document is not ready to publish yet, because of a high typo load and lack of specificity in how packets are processed (i.e. no explicit pseudocode changes). These problems can probably be addressed soon. My opinion should have little weight as I am no longer an active member of the WG

Noted, and will make sure this is brought up at the WG.

Comments and suggestions.

- 2.2.1: Do not refer to the "Allow Short Seqno" feature, simply say that X must equal 1.

Done.

- "both Sequence Number fields" => There is only one Sequence Number field.

Changed test.

- "option values" probably was intended to be "feature values."

Done.

- It is not reasonable to restrict Listen packets to carry no options. A use may be found for Listen options one day. It suffices to say that Listen packets are currently ignored. This includes any options on Listen packets.

My understanding was that the suggested outcome of the last IETF was that Options were allowed - but were not defined. This allowed some subsequent evolution of the method if this were to be needed and text was suggested to this effect (I think by Colin). If you think the text says different, please do let us know.

- "MUST NOT carry payload data" => No other DCCP packet has this restriction. Simply say, as for the other packet types, that payload data is ignored.

This was discussed at the last two IETF meetings, and the thinking at the time was since the packet contained no sequence number (because the protocol machine has not yet reached this stage), it could not be used to carry data.

- 2.2.1 "Data Offset is zero" => Wrong!! Data Offset is the header length. 0 does not mean no payload, it means no header. This should be 5 (20 bytes). But as mentioned above this is not a reasonable restriction either. Data Offset must be >= 5, allowing packets to contain options.

Correct, thanks for spotting this, my editorial mistake.

- 2.2.1 "CsCov MUST be zero" => Unreasonable restriction.

Implied by data restriction above.

- 2.2.2 should state that, except for the generation of DCCP-Listen packets, the INVITED state is treated exactly like the LISTEN state in the pseudocode.

Done.

It should probably include new pseudocode, additions and modifications to RFC4340 Section 8.5, handling INVITED state and the receipt of Listen packets.

Need to think.

- 2.2.3 "ection 8"?
Done.

- Re: Magnus's suggestion on triggered Request packets, this should at most be MAY behavior, and should be specified with explicit changes to the pseudocode in RFC4340 Section 8.5.

I agree - I see this as a MAY also - this needs to be discussed at the meeting this week.

- Typos throughout.

Eddie

Best wishes,

Gorry