Re: [BEHAVE] WGLC: draft-ietf-behave-dccp-01

Eddie,

If there is a DCCP application that needs an ALG, and which cannot
utilize the STUN/ICE procedures as outlined by
draft-rosenberg-mmusic-ice-nonsip-01.txt, we would like to hear
about it.

We already know what harm ALGs bring -- they slow or prevent protocol
extensions, ALGs cause additional breakage in the end-to-end
model, they require protocols to allow a man-in-the-middle (reducing
security because the signaling has to be sent without integrity
protection), and force the network topology to be constrained so
that the signaling channel and the data channel traverse the same
NAT.  The reason for the 'MUST NOT do ALG' is because we want to
avoid burdening DCCP protocols with these characteristics.  The
IETF learned the mistake of non-Passive FTP (which requires
an FTP ALG) and there have been significant efforts underway to
make SIP not need an ALG (draft-ietf-mmusic-ice) and to make
RTSP not need an ALG (draft-ietf-mmusic-rtsp-nat).

-d