Re: Working group last call for service codes

Hi Gorry,

Here are some comments, some editorial and some technical, in the order
that I encountered them.

Tom P.

Abstract (editorial):
"It motivates the setting of a Service Code by applications."  I don't
understand this sentence -- does it mean "It describes the motivations
for setting..."?  At any rate, I think the abstract is better is that
sentence is just eliminated.

Also the last sentence "It updates...", what "it" refers to is a little
ambiguous -- how about "This document updates...".

Section 2.1, last paragraph (editorial):
"providing that both client and server agree the port value to be used."
How about "providing that both client and server agree *on* the port
value to be used."?

Section 2.5 (technical):
Implementations MUST NOT accept a DCCP-Request with" 0xffffffff as the
service code -- do we need to specify what "not accept" means -- silent
discard, send a reset (with what reason code)?  I'll accept leaving this
as it is, but think we should at least discuss it first :-).

Section 3.2 (technical):
We need to be careful that the requirements in the bullets are
compatible with Remi's behave draft.  I see you mention that in your
response to Eddie's comments...

Section 3.3.1 (mostly editorial, but maybe technical):
"If the receiving host is listening on a server port and the
DCCP-Request uses a Service Code previously associated with the port" --
Would "uses a Service Code *currently* associated with the port" be
clearer?  The current wording seems to suggest that any SC that was ever
associated with a port is OK.

Section 3.3.2 (technical):
Does this section actually say anything beside what RFC 4340 says?  And
by doing this does it conflict with section 3.2 (and implementation
SHOULD allow multiple SCs on a port)?  It seems to me that this section
could be eliminated, but if kept it should re-mention the change to
SHOULD.

Section 3.3.3 (technical):
So what should be the identifier in dccp-inetd?  Just a port or just an
SC or a port and an SC (the last, for my thinking)?  I think that should
be specified here.  I think you try to specify this in the last
paragraph, but it seems unclear to me.

Security considerations (editorial):
The summary of the section should include an item 5 on the benchmarking
services.

Of

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dccp-serv-codes-06.txt).