Re: X vs. X_Bps in rfc3448bis

Tom -

What's the difference between X and X_Bps?

Section 4.2 says X is the allowed sending rate in bytes per second. Later, section 8.3 discusses an example of "an allowed sending rate of X packets per round-trip time". Which is it, bytes per second or packets per round-trip time? I think it's bytes/second and the example is just being casual.

Section 3.1 says X_Bps is the transmit rate in bytes/second. I assume "transmit rate" == "allowed sending rate" because X_Bps is the result of the TCP throughput calculation, not some measurement of activity.

So that sounds to me like X and X_Bps are the same thing. But the pseudo-code uses X sometimes, X_Bps others, and sometimes in the same line of code. Particularly bothersome is the line in step 4 of section 4.3 that updates the allowed sending rate:
  X = max(min(X_Bps, recv_limit), s/t_mbi);

If they're the same, why would you use X_Bps in the min expression? So I guess they aren't the same.

After writing all of this, I think I'm starting to get it -- X_Bps is the result of the TCP throughput equation calculation and X is the currently allowed sending rate, which might be less than X_Bps due to X_recv or other stuff. Both are in bytes/second. Is that accurate?

Yep.  I will add a sentence to clarify.
(The first sentence of Section 4.2 says that X is "the allowed
sending rate in bytes per second", and when X_Bps is first used
in the pseudocode in Section 4.3, the pseudocode says "Calculate X_Bps
using the TCP throughput equation.".)

If I'm now correct, or not, PLEASE, make the text more clear. Even better would be to also have a section that lists and defines all of the variables used. I have compiled such a list in order to implement CCID 3. I'd be happy to give you text for the section, that you could then correct :-).

The list of variables is in Appendix A, and Section 2 has a forward
pointer to that list.  You would be welcome to add text and/or
variables...

Take care,
- Sally
http://www.icir.org/floyd/