Re: Some general feedback on teaching DCCP

On 12/1/07, Paul D. Amer <amer@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> First:
> I'm teaching a graduate networking class that includes
> DCCP as a new experimental protocol.  I want to show
> students various simple examples.  In particular I want to show
> which data is delivered (or read by the receiving application)
> for different sizes of receive windows, and with/without
> loss of DCCP packets.   Best I can tell,
> the RFC doesn't contain examples.  Does anyone know
> if any are available elsewhere?
>
> Second:
> After reading the RFC, it's my understanding that
> DCCP provides 'in-order, maybe-loss, no duplicate,
> controlled/partial data integrity' service.
> (TCP provides 'in-order, no-loss, no duplicate, full
> data integrity' service.)
>
> Am I correct that the data delivered to the receiving
> application will be in order and never have duplicates,
> (albeit with some data missing, and possibly
> some bits in error for those data fields not covered
> by the checksum)?
>
> For example, if a sender sends DCCP packets 1,2,3,4,5,6,
> the following are valid deliveries to the receiving app:
>     1,2,3,4,5,6
>     1,3,4,6
>     1,6
> and the following deliveries may not occur:
>     2,1,3,4,5,6
>     1,2,2,2,3,4,5,6
>
> If my understanding is correct, it would help
> the RFC intro to explicitly discuss that DCCP service provides
> in-order and no-duplicates (just like TCP).  If
> my understanding is incorrect, it would help the
> RFC to have an example or two showing how data
> is delivered to the receiver out-of-order or
> in duplicate.
>

> Thanks,
> Paul Amer, Professor
> Univ of Delaware

Paul,

As I read it order is not guaranteed except on some options/features
(RFC4340 6.6.4). Duplicates could occur as well. Some features are
reliable but data is not reliable.

The way that I explain DCCP is that it is like UDP with sessions and
congestion control or TCP without reliability. I also emphasise the
pluggable congestion control. This is a gross simplification but helps
people understand.

Ian
--
Web1: http://wand.net.nz/~iam4/