Sally FloydRE: DCCP for VoIP

Hi

I have read the document and some comments below, many of the comments
are likely out of the scope for this group but I deemed that some
background info is good. It is not intended as a market pitch for
various standards but some reference to current state of the art
technology is necessary to get things into a context.

===========
Ch. 3  : "Playout as little as 150ms are often problematic". In 3GPP
TS22.105 specifies 150-400ms end to end delay with 400ms being the upper
extreme point. End to end delays have traditionally been of great
concern but there is a trend that this concern is being less an issue as
echo suppression algorithms are getting better. As a comparison circuit
switched cellular telephony (GSM) has an end to end delay of ~220ms and
this service is used with success.

===========
Ch. 3.1: The AMR codecs (AMR-NB and AMR-WB) use rate switching which is
seamless in the aspect that only a quality difference is experienced
when rate is switched up or down (i.e there are no clicks or pops). In
fact 3GPP TS26.114 specifies rate adaptation as a means to cope with
coverage problems or congestion. The rate adaptation for the above
codecs has a "dynamic range" of 1:3 (AMR-NB : 4.75kbps to 12.2kbps,
AMR-WB : 6.60kbps to 23.85kbps)
The rate adaptation feature was originally intended for circuit switched
wireless telephony (GSM) but is very useful for VoIP aswell.

Other examples of codecs and their dynamic range in bitrate
AMR-WB+ : 1:9
    (5.2kbps mono to 48kbps stereo)
ITU-T Q9 : (scalable speech/audio codec being standidized now) 1:8
(8kbps to 64kbps)
Both have seamless or very close to seamless rate-switching.

For VoIP there is also an opportunity to reduce packet rate as a means
to avoid congestion. A reasonable "dynamic range" is say 1:4 (1 speech
frame/packet to 4 speech frames/packet) although 3GPP TS26.114 allows
for even more. Switing to higher packetization delays puts some extra
burden on the buffering algorithms in the receiver and will increase the
end to end delay but it is no showstopper.
To conclude, I would say that rate switching using modern speech codecs
is a lesser concern than pointed out in the draft, of course quality
goes down with lower bitrate but 5kbps VoIP with 0% packet loss is way
better than 12kbps VoIP with 10% packet loss.

Note that the term "dynamic range" is not too widely used, there is
perhaps a better term available but I cannot figure out what it may be.

===========
Ch 3.3: "goes totally idle for sometimes several seconds". I don't fully
agree here. Although possibly true for older standards, all modern
speech codecs that implement DTX (discontinuous transmission) transmit
SID (silence descriptors) at regular intervals, the SID's give a coarse
description of the background noise and the payload size of the SID is
~5-6 bytes. The intention of these SID's is to give the user a
comfortable feeling when the other party is silent (total silence may
otherwise give the impression that the line is dead). The regular
transmission is to avoid that the background noise change too abruptly
when the other party starts to speak again he/she may have moved to
another location during the silent period. The interval between the
SID's vary between the standards. The older codecs for GSM transmitted
SID's every 500ms. The AMR codecs mentioned above transmits SID's every
160ms, the reason behind this frequent update is however related to the
bitrate adaptation loop in AMR for GSM networks. In perspective of this
I would not expect long idle times other than if a user press the call
on hold button.

===========
Some 3GPP references that might be useful, it is not the holy bible but
may nontheless be good for comparison.
+ Services and service capabilities (delay requeirements)
   http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/html-info/22105.htm version 7.1.0 table
1 (delay requirements)

+ IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS); Multimedia telephony; Media handling
and interaction
   http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/html-info/26-series.htm version 7.1.0
chapter 10.2 (adaptation signaling for VoIP)

Regards
Ingemar