From: Ian McDonald [mailto:ian.mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 25 July 2007 10:27
To: Sally Floyd
Cc: Eddie Kohler; dccp group; Arjuna Sathiaseelan
Subject: Re:  I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dccp-tfrc-faster-restart-03.txt

On 7/24/07, Sally Floyd <sallyfloyd@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Have started work on implementing this for Linux now.
>
> Oh good.   You should take note of the bugfix in the slides, at
> http://www.icir.org/floyd/talks/fasterstart-jul07.pdf, .ppt

Yes I saw that, thanks.

> The current inclination of the authors is to ditch the ping during
> idle intervals, so if you have any feedback, that would be great.

Yes I agree - pings make the implementation much more complex. I'm not
intending to implement them.

> The big need for Faster Restart is simulations/experiments to
> make sure that the burden imposed by the extra aggressiveness
> does not lead to any completely dire consequences during times
> of high congestion (e.g., when everyone is bursty, everyone has idle
> periods, and everyone is using Faster Restart...)

My tests probably won't be so much in this area. More around the area
- does it help with media after times of idle, where currently they
get hit hard. Others can use the code, of course, to do their own
experiments.

> Take care,
> - Sally
> http://www.icir.org/floyd/