Re: Comments on draft-fairhurst-dccp-serv-codes-03.txt

Phelan, Tom wrote:

Hi Colin,

[snipped]

o Applications SHOULD register and use a service code specific to

the

application.

To the application, or to the protocol?  The RTP-over-DCCP draft uses
service codes specific to the protocol, for example.

[Tom P.] Good question -- I don't know the answer.  I was using
application loosely here and didn't necessarily think of that
distinction.  I'm quite happy with what RTP-over-DCCP has done, and if
you look at Eddie's earlier post in this thread the example he uses to
illustrate two things that'd use different service codes (HTTP/1.0 and
HTTP/1.1) are two different protocols that do the same application.  Or
maybe I should say applications -- there are a lot of applications
masquerading as web browsing out there.

If TCP had service codes,
should my SSL VPN masquerading as HTTPS on port 443 have its own service
code?

Well, that could be useful to some, but I guess one can never require this :-)

Service Codes values are agreed between both end-points (i.e. one caller the value, the callee accepts it) and the connection expects the behaviour that is associated with the particular codepoint they choose.

gorry