RE: Comments on draft-fairhurst-dccp-serv-codes-03.txt

Hi Colin,

[snipped]
> >  o Applications SHOULD register and use a service code specific to
the
> > application.
>
> To the application, or to the protocol?  The RTP-over-DCCP draft uses
> service codes specific to the protocol, for example.

[Tom P.] Good question -- I don't know the answer.  I was using
application loosely here and didn't necessarily think of that
distinction.  I'm quite happy with what RTP-over-DCCP has done, and if
you look at Eddie's earlier post in this thread the example he uses to
illustrate two things that'd use different service codes (HTTP/1.0 and
HTTP/1.1) are two different protocols that do the same application.  Or
maybe I should say applications -- there are a lot of applications
masquerading as web browsing out there.  If TCP had service codes,
should my SSL VPN masquerading as HTTPS on port 443 have its own service
code?