RE: Re: revision of draft-ietf-dccp-rfc3448bis

Dear Sally,
 Yes I know that you are not going (unfortunately) to be here for the
meeting. I wanted to address this issue in the meeting but I guess I would
email this.

I tried reading the latest version of the draft in a hurry - so I am not
sure if this fundamental problem has been resolved.

Sally, please do correct me if I am wrong or if I have overseen the draft.

a) The problem is:

After an idle period, the sender sends 50 packets/RTT. The receiver would
send a feedback for 1 or 2 packets and not all the 50 packets. So basically
that means in the next RTT, the sender can send only upto 2 or 4 packets
since it would be limited by the receiver rate.

b) Solution in the previous draft:

Ignoring the feedback packet after an idle period.

Disadvantages of ignoring: The sender may be datalimited, sending 1 or 2
pkts/RTT, so ignoring sounded like a bad option.

c) Solution in the latest draft:

We have a limited receive rate option, which tells that the receiver is
sending feedback after an idle period. So the sender tries to maintain the
"minimum" sending rate of (upto) 4 pkts/RTT. I guess this is what you are
trying to achieve? Please do correct me if I am wrong.

If that is the case, then I don't think this actually solves the problem
since the sender although it had sent 50 pkts/RTT, it goes down to
2*4pkts/RTT in the next RTT - which I don't think is right.

If I have understood c) properly then I would like to propose something like
this:

1)The sender maintains the "number of packets" it has sent after an idle
period.

2)Receiver sends feedback (1 pkt/RTT)

3)Ignoring the feedback after an idle period: The sender checks to see if
the received feedback is less than what it has sent. Also it checks if there
is any ECN marking or loss. If no ECN or loss, and if the received feedback
is less than what it has sent, ignore the feedback. (Ignoring is perfectly
OK here).

4)If the sender was data-limited (sending less than the min rate) and it
receives a feedback (less than the min rate), then maintain the min rate,
the feedback packet is NOT ignored.

I guess this would solve the problem of the sending after an idle period.

Regards
Arjuna