FYI: Executive Assistant

Dear Colleagues,

The administrative tasks for the IAB that are currently performed by the IAB chair, volunteer Executive Director and/or other volunteers has increased over the years. In order to allow more focus on the strategic issues the IAB has decided that some of these tasks maybe better performed by a paid secretarial function. Among others, this will help the IAB chair and the IAB Executive Director with managerial tasks, timely production of minutes and wiki/website maintenance. This Executive Assistant role is very similar to the role of the IESG secretary.

The Executive Assistant aids the Internet Architecture Board (IAB) Chair and Executive Director in the day-to-day management and operation of the board.  The Executive Assistant will take over most of the administrative duties of that the Executive Director has today. Note that the IAB plans to continue to use a (volunteer) Executive Director for the more technical aspects of assisting the IAB.

The IAB has submitted a proposed Statement of Work (below, for your information) to the IAOC for their review and the IAOC is currently investigating budgetary impact and contracting possibilities.

We realize that acquiring paid staff for performing these sort of functions is exceptional, therefore this heads-up.

--Olaf Kolkman, and  Bob Hinden.

For the IAB, and the IAOC respectively