I-D ACTION:draft-niswar-wlan-multihomed-handover-00.txt

directories.

	Title		: Inter-domain WLAN handover management for Multi-homed Mobile Node
	Author(s)	: M. Niswar, S. Kashihara, K. Tsukamoto, Y. Kadobayashi, S. Yamaguchi
	Filename	: draft-niswar-wlan-multihomed-handover-00.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 2009-12-2

This document discusses inter-domain WLAN handover management for
multi-homed mobile node (MN) in order to maintain Voice over IP
(VoIP) quality during handover (HO). Switching a communication path
from one Access Point (AP) to another in inter-domain WLANs is a
critical challenge for real-time applications such as VoIP because
communication quality during HO is more likely to be deteriorated.

To maintain VoIP quality during HO, we need to solve many problems. In
particular, in bidirectional communication such as VoIP, an AP
becomes a bottleneck with the increase of VoIP calls. As a result,
packets queued in the AP buffer may experience a large queuing
delay or packet losses due to increase in queue length or buffer
overflow, thereby causing the degradation of VoIP quality for the MNs side.
To avoid this degradation, MNs need to appropriately and autonomously
execute HO in response to the changes in wireless network
condition, i.e., the deterioration of wireless link quality and the congestion  state at the AP. We then propose an HO management considering all of frame retries, AP queue length, and transmission rate at an MN for maintaining VoIP quality during HO.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-niswar-wlan-multihomed-handover-00.txt

ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Internet-Draft.
<ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-niswar-wlan-multihomed-handover-00.txt>