Re: x270 CPU temp / throttling and unhandled HKEY event when I close the lid

On Sun, 14 May 2017, neil k wrote:
> Thanks for the response Henrique.  I do have the laptop setup not to
> suspend when I close the lid.

Ok.

> So 60C / ~2.0GHz sounds right to you if I have it set to "balanced" for
> battery power, as opposed to the 80C / ~2.9GHz when I run on battery with
> the lid open?  I do have a couple options available through the power

Well, to know what it should be doing, you really need to run it under
Windows *with* the Lenovo drivers ("thinkvantage suite") loaded.

But, since it was cooking itself with the lid closed, and now it is not
cooking itself anymore, I'd say it is at least *safer* to keep it set to
"balanced" for now.

> I haven't noticed anything weird with the fan controls.  But I can be

Ok.

> so I'll give that a try and see if anything changes.  In any case,
> whatever's in control of this appears to be blowing off my settings in the
> BIOS, because the clock speeds and temps don't seem to change even if I set
> everything to Max Performance.

Hmm, check if you have "thermald" running.  If you do, try without it
(but keep a close look at temperatures the entire time!).  If you don't,
try installing it.

thermald is prone to do very idiotic things on Xeon processors, but for
laptops with mobile processors, it is often a good way to work around
misbehavior.

> If I wanted to change the code of thinkpad-acpi.c to "handle" this event,
> should I treat it the same way as the normal lid open/close events in the
> hotkey_notify_usrevent section?  Is this something that could be put in the
> code for later versions?

LID events are actually handled by the acpi "lid" driver, which is sane
on 4.9, but currently insanely broken on 4.11 (and maybe 4.10) -- the
breakage is in the process of being reverted.

Lenovo woudln't add a *new* "LID changed" helper event (like the one you
reported) if its drivers did not have to handle it *differently* from
what is already in there.  I think we actually need to know what happens
in Windows to correctly handle this one.

--
  Henrique Holschuh