Re: x270 CPU temp / throttling and unhandled HKEY event when I close the lid

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017, neil k wrote:
> I spent some more time testing this today. It seems like it only happens
> when I close the lid while *running on battery*. If I close the lid with

Yeah, that event is some sort of hint to the Lenovo Windows drivers to
change their behavior, or to reprogram something in other windows
drivers.

I assume you are closing the lid **without** suspending, right?

Probably, the Lenovo windows drivers kick everything to idle-mode
forcibly (or maybe kicks the GPU into low-power mode, disables the
discrete GPU, whatever).

thinkpad-acpi is not doing much other than warning you of an event we
don't know about, blacklisting it won't help, unless it is actually
being used to mess with fan control.  Do note thinkpad-acpi fan-control
is opt-in, someone must have forced it to be enabled using a module
parameter, if it is active.

> the laptop plugged in, THEN unplug it, I don't see these temperature
> messages happen during idling / light use. Also notable is that unhandled
> HKEY event 0x6032 doesn't show up if I close the lid on A/C power. This

Yeah, firmware implementation did not cover all possibilities :p

> issue still happens if I blacklist the thinkpad-acpi module, but I'm
> wondering if it's something Lenovo specific that isn't being handled and
> triggers the issue.

Exactly.

> Thermal
> AC – max performance
> Battery – Balanced

Check if it is not messing with the fan when you close the lid.  That
might be it...

> I also tested to see how the CPU behaved under load and found something
> else interesting. If I close the lid with the laptop unplugged (the
> condition that causes this issue), the processor runs at a much lower clock
> speed (~2.0 GHz) and much lower temperature (60C) when under load. This

Yeah, that's the UEFI balanced mode properly working.

> makes me think something about the lid being closed on battery power causes
> an issue with Intel Speedstep / p states / c states. I don't really know
> much about how that works though, unfortunately.

Either that, or some stupid crap is touching knobs it shouldn't.  Usual
suspects are the power management stuff from pm-tools, systemd, or
laptop-mode.

> converting video with lid closed plugged in will hover at 96-98C / 3.48 GHz
> <-- 3.5GHz is the maximum turbo boost for this processor

Yeah, this is too much if the fan slows down or the box does non-trivial
dissipation through the keyboard or palm-rest, and it will overheat.

Do ensure you keep the firmware of that box up-to-date, please.   You
should get a new UEFI and EC update from Lenovo every so often on such a
new machine.  If you didn't check their site this week yet, please do so
;-)

--
  Henrique Holschuh