Re: HKEY version 0x200

On Sun, 03 Apr 2016, Yrjan Skrimstad wrote:
> I get the following message when booting 4.6-rc1 on my Thinkpad T460s:
> [    4.067246] thinkpad_acpi: unknown version of the HKEY interface: 0x200
> [    4.068819] thinkpad_acpi: please report this to ibm-acpi-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> I also have a number of hotkeys that will not work unless I change the
> code. The code changes I did to test this was very similar to this
> patch from 2014:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/p/ibm-acpi/mailman/ibm-acpi-devel/thread/531F0073.7060103%40canonical.com/#msg32086976
>
> However, this patch was never merged and I cannot find the reason for
> this. Is there a chance this patch or a similar patch could be
> accepted?

Yes, but it needs someone that accepts to be responsible for it (i.e. handle
bug reports by helping with the testing) at least until I get a thinkpad
that has HKEY 0x200...

> It seems that multiple of the newer Thinkpads report an HKEY interface
> version of 0x200, so this would likely be very useful to a number of
> users.

Yes.

> On a sidenote: the feature "has_adaptive_kbd" gets set on this laptop
> (possibly all hkeyv 0x200 Thinkpads?). This laptop does not have an
> adaptive keyboard, so this seems unintentional. Would there be a way
> to better detect if there is an adaptive keyboard?

Probably it can be detected through either ACPI method calls, or the
presence or non-presence of some ACPI identifier/method.

Fix this requires the cooperation of someone with HKEY 0x200 and an
adaptative keyboard, and someone with HKEY 0x200 without an adaptative
keyboard.

Also, it is possible that the thinkpad does have an adaptative keyboard as
far as the firmware is concerned, but no hardware interfaces that expose it.
In that case, you'd have to test the resulting behavior, and report it in
details.  Worse comes to worst case, we can add a whitelist/blacklist to the
driver and keep it up-to-date.  I hope the behavior is "it doesn't do
anything nasty" so it becomes a cosmetic issue...

  Henrique Holschuh