Re: Internal battery: /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/status = Unknown

On Sun, Mar 08, 2015 at 01:54:38PM +0100, Janis Beckert wrote:
> Hey everyone!
>
> First off: I am not sure if this is the proper place to report this issue.
> If you know the proper channel, please point me to it.

I think the correct place would be the kernel ACPI list, but I'm unsure.

> My new W550s contains an internal battery, and has an external replaceable
> slice. Unfortunately, I cannot read out the status of the internal battery,
> nor its current power
>
>  % cat /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/status
> Unknown
>
> % cat /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/power_now
> 0

What's the current laptop status? Is it plugged in, is it discharging?
And what's the state of the external battery? Because the laptop will
start by discharging the internal battery, so it might just be that BAT0
doesn't provide any current right now.

It might be worth trying to empty BAT1 and see what changes.

> Maybe it's also interesting to note that the runtimes seem to be disabled:
>
> % cat /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/power/runtime_enabled
> disabled
>
> % cat /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/power/runtime_status
> unsupported

I have no idea what the runtimes are, sorry.

> On the other hand, energy_now and energy_full are reported:
> % cat /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/energy_full
> 45610000
>
> % cat /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/energy_now
> 40500000

So the internal battery is charged.

Regards,
- --