Fn-key legacy mode on E430

I don't know if this has anything to do with the ibm-acpi package, but
here goes...

On the E430, by default you must hold the Fn key in order to use
F1-F12.  Without holding Fn, these keys are volume, brightness, etc.  In
the BIOS there is a setting to switch this so that it operates the way
that normal computers do.  This is called "legacy mode".  However, for
me and for other people who use Linux, regardless of whether legacy mode
is activated in the BIOS, the behavior seems to randomly flip back and
forth.  In other words, sometimes F2 does F2 and sometimes it changes
volume, and you never know whether the Fn key needs to be pressed at the
given moment. This doesn't seem to happen on Windows (according to one
person anyway).  Some people think the behavior correlates with sleep mode.

On Windows, holding the Fn key for a few seconds pops up a dialog
allowing to toggle legacy mode, if the Lenovo drivers are installed.  On
Linux, holding Fn gives this error in syslog:

Oct 31 20:12:18 psi kernel: [39697.757940] thinkpad_acpi: unknown
possible thermal alarm or keyboard event received
Oct 31 20:12:18 psi kernel: [39697.757946] thinkpad_acpi: unhandled HKEY
event 0x6060
Oct 31 20:12:18 psi kernel: [39697.757949] thinkpad_acpi: please report
the conditions when this event happened to
ibm-acpi-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

... and gives this in acpi_listen:

ibm/hotkey LEN0068:00 00000080 00006060

A fix for the Fn key legacy behavior would be greatly appreciated.
Currently my workaround is to not use the function keys for anything.

- Dan