Re: ThinkPad W520 Brightness Control Issues

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012, Andrew Immerman wrote:
> I have a Lenovo ThinkPad W520 4276-39U and am unable to control LCD brightness.

Thinkpad-acpi doesn't support brightness control of any laptops that do
it through the GPU.  That's the job of the framebuffer console or the X
driver...

>     to be, a fully patched thinkpad_acpi.ko.  Not sure if it's relevant,
>     though, it's running on an NVIDIA Quadro 1000M GF108GL set to
>     discrete mode (I think), with X.Org X Server 1.11.3 and the NVIDIA version
>     295.40 driver.

So, it will be the job of the nVidia driver, and it will be only
available through X.org + nVidia driver.

> 	* unknown possible thermal alarm or keyboard event received
> unhandled HKEY event 0x6050

That's just the thinkpad trying to tell an (inexistent) userspace driver
that it should do on-screen-display of the brightness.

It probably also generates key events for brightness up/down directly on
the keyboard controller. Test it using "xev".

  Henrique Holschuh