Re: Ubuntu overheating since 11.10 for a lot of thinkpad computers

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 12:54:38PM +0200, Julien Iguchi-Cartigny wrote:
> Let's do a more useful correct bug report.
>
> Note that i'm not sure it is related with thinpad_acpi but since i've
> no clues....
>
> My system is Thinkpad T500 with ubuntu 12.04 (3.2.0-24-generic-pae).
>
> Since ubuntu 11.10, I've noticed that my computer reboots when high
> CPU charge due to excessive heat (more than 100°).

What is your CPU and graphics chipset are you using?  I have a T410
which will reliably demonstrate this problem if I use two displays
(i.e., if I plug in a displayport connector and ask the graphics chip
to drive the LCD planel and the external monitor at the same time.
The problem also is there (although not so bad) if I'm driving only an
external monitor if it has a very high resolution (i.e., a very big
36" display).

My colleagues don't have this problem, but they have been using
Thinkpads with dual core processors.  I have a special-order quad-core
processor system, and I see the thermal problems if I actually try to
use all 4 cores at the same time.

I opened up my machine to see if the fan was defective, and it did not
appear to be so.  My current suspicion is that Lenovo simply was too
aggressive with their thermal engineering, and that many Linux
developers have the good taste to use the Intel chipset to avoid the
Nvidia proprietary drivers.  However, since this is a corporate-built
machine, I have been inflicted with Nvidia graphics, and I believe
it's the combination of the Nvidia chipset plus the quad-core CPU's is
simply too much for the heat sink and fan combination.  (Others with
Nvidia chipset plus dual-core CPU have no problem, with exactly the
same corporate-provided distro kernel).

So at least for me, it's a hardware problem, and I've worked around it
by using an USB-powered laptop cooling pad/fan when I need to push the
CPU to the limits (i.e., if I'm doing heavy kernel builds).  With the
external fan blowing cool air at the bottom of the laptop, I don't
suffer thermal shutdowns, even when doing heavy kernel compiles and
using an external high-resolution monitor.

My suggestion for people who are trying to work on this issue is that
they specify things like what graphics chipset and CPU they are using,
since in my experience that has a huge bearing on whether or not the
problem is seen.  It may be that people at Intel who work on the
thinkpad_acpi or other kernel components simply aren't seeing the
problem because they have the good fortune of working at a company
that doesn't mandate the use of Nvidia graphics drivers, with all of
the pain and suffering that comes with needing to use proprietary
kernel drivers.  (To be fair this may have been because certain
applications at the time required Nvidia because the Intel graphics
from a few years ago really weren't up to snuff especially in the 3D
department.)

Regards,

					- Ted