Re: unknown thermal alarm received ... 0x6005

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 5:11 AM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
<hmh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Jun 2011, John McCabe-Dansted wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 3:09 PM, John McCabe-Dansted <gmatht@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > I get the 0x6005 event precisely when I release the Fn key, regardless
>> > of whether I have also pressed (or am pressing) a function key or not.
>> >
>> > Pressing and holding the key down does not cause the event (until I
>> > release the key).
>>
>> Also, I think I only get the 0x6005 event when I have the Fn key lock
>> function enabled in the BIOS (it is disabled by default).
>
> Hmm, that's very interesting, and it brings to mind a few other
> questions:
>
> What is the intended effect of the "Fn key lock" function?  (I can infer
> it, but since you can actually experience it...)

When the Fn Key Lock is enabled in the bios:
  1) pressing Fn once will cause the the next key to be interpreted as
a Function key (i.e. F1..F10, the E420 does not have dedicated F1..F10
keys, but shares them with e.g. volume control). In Linux it also
causes e.g. the S key to be interpreted as "Take a screenshot"
  2) pressing Fn twice will cause all keys to be interpreted as
Function keys until Fn is pressed again.

> What really changes when it is enabled in Linux?

As above.

> Do you know how it is supposed to behave in Windows (if it doesn't match
> what happens in Linux) ?

The behaviour seems to be the same in both Linux and Windows. I have
now disabled it because I find it annoying (in both Windows and Linux,
in both it ends up being just another thing that can cause the
computer to stop responding to alphanumeric keypresses normally).

The 0x6005 appears to indicate that the Fn Key Lock status has
changed. It is possible for 0x6005 to be emitted when a key other than
Fn is pressed, if the the Fn Key Lock status is next key is next key
only then pressing any key will change the FKL status (to unlocked,
unless it is the Fn key being pressed a second time, which will change
the FKL status to permanently locked, but either way the FKL status
changes and 0x6005 will be emitted).

y: 0x6005 warning emitted
n: 0x6005 warning *not* emitted

Key, ?, Fn Key Lock status