Re: video (crt) status inconsistency

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Wed, 23 Feb 2011, Ferenc Wagner wrote:
>
>> at the same time, however, /proc/acpi/ibm/video indicates that only the
>> lcd (LVDS1) output is active:
>
> Ignore that thing entirely.  I think I will just drop it when /proc is gone,

By the time /proc is gone, you won't have anything left to drop under
it.  :)

> there is no sane sysfs interface for video output switching

Does it make sense to separate it from the graphics driver, btw?

> and it doesn't work right half the time anyway.

Heh, it certainly worked for me some time ago (before the advent of
KMS).  I didn't test it now, xrandr seems to be the preferred interface
to video output switching (at least under X).

> It certainly doesn't work at all when combined with xrandr.

OK, so I don't care.  And what's the current best practice for video
output switching?  Get acpid translate hotkey input events to xrandr
calls?  Somewhat hairy, as $DISPLAY isn't available, but certainly
doable.  Or use some separate desktop daemon?  Or mask the key off and
get the platform firmware do the job?  Or just start up a specialized
application for doing the switch?

As a side note, acpid gave me some grief lately: when I closed the lid,
it issued (through Debian's acpi-support package) an xset dpms force off
command, switching off the VGA monitor, too...  Took some time to find.
--
Thanks,
Feri.