T41 Brightness with 2.6.33-rc3-git2

On 09/01/10 14:48, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Jan 2010, Robert de Rooy wrote:
>
>> thinkpad_acpi: Console audio control enabled, mode: monitor (read only)
>>
>> But I am not seeing anything regarding a new ALSA device, either in
>> dmesg or in the Gnome sound applet. And when I run 'lshal --monitor'
>> and press the volume or brightness keys I do not see any events
>> either.
>>
> It will be in one of the last alsa card slots by default.  Use
> /proc/asound/* to locate it, or ask the ALSA lib about the installed
> cards...
>
> You can use the index= parameter to tell it at which slot you want it to try
> to install the card.  index=3 would place it in the third slot, for example.
>
> Maybe a HAL .fdi file would also help gnome find it?  I can't help you
> there, but someone in the freedesktop.org or in the linux-thinkpad ML might.

I thought it best to separate the brightness from the volume discussion.

As to the brightness issue, I still do not get any output when I press
the brightness buttons in /dev/input/event10, while I do get output on
things like Fn-Space. I enabled the thinkpad_acpi debug options, but
that does not seem to make any difference either.

On my T60 where the acpi video driver handles the backlight I do get OSD
without needing tpb, but on the T41 where it is handled by
thinkpad_acpi, I do not. thinkpad_acpi does report the correct status in
sysfs, so this is just a reporting issue, but I thought this was
supposed to be fixed with the latest update to thinkpad_acpi?