Re: bluetooth off state not remembered accross reboots?

On Sat, 05 Dec 2009, Kevin Locke wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-12-05 at 18:12 -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > On Sat, 05 Dec 2009, Kevin Locke wrote:
> >> Rfkill pretends that the master switch was set in its current position
> >> at startup by using an EV_SW event on devices that support them.  So
> >
> > Actually, no, rfkill doesn't pretend anything.
> >
> > The *drivers* that implement that EV_SW SW_RFKILL_ALL (like thinkpad-acpi)
> > *push* EV_SW events to rfkill with the current state.
>
> Except that it is also sent internally in rfkill when the input device
> is registered by rfkill_start at input.c:252 (without any request from
> the individual driver afaict - other than support for EV_SW), which is
> where the problem is happening.

Well, thinking about it, it is clear rfkill has no choice but to do that, as
it has to handle hotplugging.

I have fixed thinkpad-acpi to not issue initial events, and sync the
inputdev "sw" bitmap directly.  I have also a patch to add an API to do it
properly to the input layer, which I will submit after the quick-and-dirty
fix hits mainline (otherwise experience tells me it will cause headaches).

I will post the changes here, for your testing.  Maybe they won't fix
everything, but they should help.

> > Fixing this is possible, but quite troublesome (we need to register an input
> > device signature permanently in the rfkill core, and remember it across
> > input device attach/detach, and do the right thing if it attaches twice
> > because there are two such devices in the system, etc).
> >
> > In the most common use case (modules are loaded at boot and left alone after
> > that) it causes no problem, so I don't think it will get fixed anytime soon.
>
> So states being preserved across reboots is not considered part of the
> common use case?  I can live with that, although it is frustrating.

No, state *MUST* be preserved across reboots.  What is not first-priority is
to preserve state across thinkpad-acpi module reloads *when one DOES NOT
reload the rfkill core*.   A reboot or shutdown will also reload the rfkill
core.

If state preservation across shutdown/reboot is broken, it is something I
will do all I can to fix.

BTW: I will have to do state preservation the hard way for suspend/resume,
the firmware is not cooperating on some thinkpads.  I will prepare a further
fix for the driver on top of the rfkill suspend/resume fix I already sent to
linux-acpi.

  Henrique Holschuh