Re: bluetooth off state not remembered accross reboots?

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> since some time (I guess 2.6.29 or 2.6.30 kernel), it seems that the
> bluetooth ???off??? state isn't remembered on my T61. I usually turn

The driver can remember state, yes. It *might* not work though. And it can
be overriden by userspace.

Do note that when thinkpad-acpi switches bluetoot off, it *disappears* from
the bus (so, lsusb won't find it, etc).

If bluetooth is still present in the bus, but the bluetooth interface is
down, then your problem is not related directly or indirectly to
thinkpad-acpi.

Now, if the bluetooth state persistence used to work on your thinkpad and it
doesn't work anymore, then the problem is likely in userspace.

> I don't reboot often, but I remember at one point it was implemented and
> working, so I wonder if something is broken here.

Well, it *is* possible.  But it is more likely that something is turning it
on by force at boot.

> What do you think?

Compile thinkpad-acpi with the Kconfig option "CONFIG_THINKPAD_ACPI_DEBUG"
enabled, and pass thinkpad-acpi the module option "debug=0x8004", either
through the kernel command line (if it is builtin:
thinkpad_acpi.debug=0x8004) or through an "options thinkpad-acpi ..." line
in /etc/modprobe.d/*.

Make sure you're logging kernel debug messages somewhere (check
rsyslog/klogd/syslogd/whatever configuration).

After that, do some testing and check the kernel log, thinkpad-acpi will
tell you if something tries to manipulate radio state, and it will also tell
you when it stores radio state to NVRAM.  It should give us some idea of
what's happening.

  Henrique Holschuh