kernel does not pass thinkpad tablet swivel events to userspace as keypresses

Hi all,

Not sure where to turn with this: As of ubuntu karmic all hotkey events
(even if they are acpi events) are supposed to be mapped to input events
by the kernel. I am assuming that for thinkpads this should happen in
the part of code that this list is concerned with.

However
ibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 00005009
ibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 0000500a

do not generate a keypress event. Which in a way may be sensible, since
they are not actually keys, they are actually the events for changing
the x61 tablet from laptop mode to tablet mode. However, current acpid
refuses to handle those events in the current version of ubuntu, since
the kernel should generate keyboard input events for this, but as stated
above, it doesn't.

Can anyone tell me what I can do to fix this? As it stands I don't have
access to that event at all, since acpid doesn't handle it any more and
no other event is generated yet, so I can't assign it in my desktop
environment either.

please cc me, I am not subscribed to the list.

Thanks

felix