Re: bluetooth radio ThinkPad T61

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 10:10:20AM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > It is not turned on when the system is booted, and Fn+F5 does nothing,
> > even though the log says it is turned on. Running "xev" and pressing
> > Fn+F5 gives no output.
>
> Try to enable bluetooth using the rfkill subsystem...
>
> > turns it on. However, I'd like for thinkpad-acpi to do so when the
> > kernel boots, if possible.
>
> thinkpad-acpi tries to keep bluetooth state stored in the NVRAM.  Whether it
> works or not depends entirely on your thinkpad, *and* on the kernel's rfkill
> subsystem (which may decide it prefers the radio to be disabled depending on
> how it is configured), and your distro scripts.
>
> The easiest way to always have your bluetooth on at boot if it is not just
> working by itself, is to add an udev rule, HAL rule, or a initscript that
> tells thinkpad-acpi to turn it on using the rfkill subsystem or some of the
> other ways of asking thinkpad-acpi to control the bluetooth radio.

My distro has both rfkill and rfkill_input as modules in it's kernel:

mingdao@jeremiah:/boot$ grep 'CONFIG_RFKILL' config-generic-2.6.29.6
CONFIG_RFKILL=m
CONFIG_RFKILL_INPUT=m
CONFIG_RFKILL_LEDS=y

I could turn the bt radio on via "modprobe rfkill_input", so the choices
were to put it in /etc/rc.d/rc.local or another option could be used with
a new file > /etc/modprobe.d/rfkill.conf   which did not seem to elegant
to me.

I always run custom kernels, so I just built them in. That solves the
problem of turning the bt radio on if it's not still in NVRAM.

The Fn+F5 key works in other distros on the same laptop. I didn't check
why, because I want it always on. Some guys running Slackware use an
acpi-handler.sh script to do this. I'll check openSUSE (the distro I ran
where Fn+F5 worked) in VBox one day to see what's different. I suspect
they have some script which is doing it, also.
--
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the
lesson afterward. But properly learned, the lesson forever changes