Re: ALSA mixer volume control

> I've added a little extra functionality to this. The first is to send
> notifications whenever the mixer volume changes. These are via ALSA and
> simply allow other applications to know when the volume has changed.

Thanks!  I wasn't sure where to put those.

> The other thing to note is
> that the volume keys don't seem to allow me to get to volume level 15.
> Does this work anywhere?

This also happens on my T60, independently of any ALSA stuff.

> I also removed the writable option and made it the default. I'm not
> entirely sure why we'd want to expose a read-only mixer, but I can add
> it back if it actually helps anyone.

I found it useful for things like the gnome volume button handler and
OSD.  The handler lets you select an ALSA mixer to associate with the
OSD/buttons but it assumes that it needs to change the level of the
mixer on each button push.  Having the mixer read-only is a (mildy
hacky) fix to get a nice OSD for the hardware volume while not causing
the volume to jump twice with each button push.  I think it's a good
idea to have the option.  I'm neither here nor there about making
read-only the default.

Lorne