x60s: problems with brightness keys (again)

I know that many brightness-related problems are already known, but
mine seems to still leak a good description.

I'm running an X60s with a vanilla 2.6.27-rc8 kernel (but I get the
problem also with older versions). I also think that this description
is valid also for the X60. I have no HAL running nor other particular
hardware monitoring or power saving daemons. What I'm going to describe
happens even without starting X (the behavior is exactly the same).

Scenario 1. I load the acpi video module and I DON'T load the
thinkpad_acpi module. Everything works file: I have the brightness
control and I can read the correct acpi events with acpi_listen.
But hey! I want to use those hotkeys, so I modprobe thinkpad_acpi.

Scenario 2. video.ko and thinkpad_acpi.ko are both loaded. The latter
warns me that it won't touch the brightness stuff, is acpi's duty! Here
is the message:

thinkpad_acpi: Lenovo BIOS switched to ACPI backlight control mode
thinkpad_acpi: standard ACPI backlight interface available, not loading native one...

And thats ok. And I get the hotkeys working! At a first sight even the
brightness control seems to work, BUT, if (and only if) I reach the
lowest level of brightness and I press the brightness-down key
combination once again I get TWO acpi events from acpi_listen:

video LCD0 00000087 00000000
ibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 00005010

and the brightness control is messed up! Every change in brightness
takes a long time to occur (almost a second), and this is very
annoying. I get a double acpi event for every change in brightness,
UNLESS I press the key combination too fast. In this case only
the last event is double. Here's a series of brightness-up
events:

video LCD0 00000086 00000000
video LCD0 00000086 00000000
video LCD0 00000086 00000000
video LCD0 00000086 00000000
video LCD0 00000086 00000000
ibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 00005010

Even in this case the effect of the key strokes is lagged.
I want to remark that this doesn't happen if I reach the upper
brightness limit and then press the brightness-up key combination
once again! A strange asymmetry, isn't it?

What happens then if I try to unload thinkpad_acpi? One thing I was
partially not expecting: the ibm/hotkey acpi event disappears,
but the brightness changes continue to be lagged! And the same
happens if I rmmod and then modprobe the video module. The only
way to bring things to normality seems to be a reboot.

At the moment, at least for me, the most sane solution is not to
load thinkpad_acpi (and renounce to the hotkeys). I can assure you
that this lagging problem is really annoying!

I hope this description is sufficiently precise. Of course I'm
available for giving further informations and testing patches or
workarounds.

Paride