Re: brightness keys on X61s in nvram

On jeu, 2008-06-26 at 19:59 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> Then ask around in the linux-thinkpad ML.  Getting the keys to work is
> far
> more a problem of correctly configuring a lot of crap in userspace
> than
> anything else.

I don't know about X61s but on T61 with intel graphics there are two way
to use the brightness key, depending on the value
of /sys/module/video/parameters/brightness_switch_enabled

If it's Y, the kernel is in charge. Currently it doesn't work (on
2.6.26-rc7). I once made a rebuild with debugging info and some printk
added, and I saw that keys were correctly sent to the video module, but
brightness wasn't correctly set. Wether I was in X or not.

If it's N, the kernel has nothing to do with it, it skips the processing
and pass the stuff to userspace, where it can be used by
gnome-power-manager, for example.

Using gnome-power-manager works here, as long as I set N in
brightness_switch_enabled. I don't use g-p-m so I'd prefer if this stuff
would be handled in the kernel, but I don't currently know another way.

You can see how this stuff is handled in the kernel looking at
http://tomoyo.sourceforge.jp/cgi-bin/lxr/source/drivers/acpi/video.c#L1864

Cheers,
--
Yves-Alexis