Re: bluetooth button does not work

On Thu, 15 May 2008, Thomas Renninger wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 13:34 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 May 2008 14:21:15 +0200, "Thomas Renninger" <trenn@xxxxxxx> said:
> > > Shouldn't the thinkpad driver do this automatically?

> > I HEAVILY suggest not messing with ANYTHING related to rfkill until my changes
> > get in mainline, or we could risk the backlight crap all again.
> 11.0 is on the way, we will stick to 2.6.25.

It will work on 2.6.25, you just need to backport it :-)  It is
contained to a header file and the net/rfkill/rfkill* files, plus
documentation.  And it is fully backwards compatible with all in-tree
drivers (they won't break any further, nor will them change behaviour.
But they won't be fixed either, you need to fix the drivers too).

A full backport will be distributed along with the thinkpad-acpi
backports, for example.

> > It is sufficient to say that almost NOTHING in mainline is
> > using rfkill correctly, so please don't try to make it work using
> > userspace workarounds yet.  Let's fix this properly before it bites us in the arse.
> > PLEASE be patient for this.
> If there is no other way, we need to add quick userspace fixes, but I
> got it -> we'll try to avoid this.

Basically, there is nothing you can do to fix it in userspace right now.
Stuff on the kernel are doing one of those Absolute No-No things:
issuing input events as status change notifications.  Only, this time it
is not userspace that replies to them and blow everything up.
rfkill-input does.

> > If you're interested in helping, the
> > first bunch of patches is not more than a week away from hitting LKML,
> > and I can explicitly CC any of you that asks me to in a reply :-)
> Please add me :)

Sure.

> I try to help, at least with testing.
> > The design for the rfkill changes was debated on LKML in a somewhat
> > long thread, if you want to get up to speed on the issues.
> > Look for it on the last two month's archives.
> Thanks a lot!
> I wonder how this should work to also get other drivers using it and
> backport all this for 2.6.25. Let's see..., I am looking forward to have
> a look at the patches.

Drivers will need to be fixed, yes.  b43 for certain.  Others might need
some fixing too.

  Henrique Holschuh