Re: X61 brightness again

For extra annoyance, xbacklight is not packaged by Fedora 8, the distro
I run.  So if I blacklist video.ko and load thinkpad_acpi.ko with
brightness_enable=0, I have no backlight control whatsoever.  :-(

Even if I did have some way to control the backlight, I'm not sure how
I'd trigger it.  I'm running hald but not acpid, so hal owns
/proc/acpi/event.  But "lshal -m" is silent when I press the brightness
control keys (Fn+Home and Fn+End).  "dbus-monitor --system" is equally
silent.  Where should I be seeing these events?  As KeyPress events
managed by the X server?  That's no good.  I tried adding "Thinkpad hot
keys" to xorg.conf as an input device using the "evdev" driver, but that
fouls up other things because some hot keys emit the same keycodes as
regular keyboard keys and nobody who knows how to disambiguate the two
has either stepped forward with a fix or answered my inquiries as to how
to do it myself.

{sigh}  I've put in a good-faith effort, across multiple mailing lists,
to get things working.  I surrender.  I give up.