Re: X61 brightness again

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, Jim Paris wrote:
> Sorry to revive an old topic from 3-4 weeks ago, but I just got my X61
> this past week and so I missed my chance to chime in.  And, as far as
> I can tell, Ben ended with "I'm pretty lost by now".  Was a decent
> solution ever found?  If not, where can I code to help?  :)

Actually, one will be available on 2.6.25 :p

> In my tests, the only way I've been able to get reliable backlight
> control is to blacklist "video.ko" and use "thinkpad_acpi
> brightness_enable=0".  Then, the "intel" X driver handles it:

For now, that *is* the best way, yes.

For 2.6.25, you can tell video.ko to NOT load a brightness interface, so you
won't have to blacklist it.

If you have problems getting the brightness key events, you can load
video.ko, then unload it.

> Unfortunately, that's independent of the hotkeys and
> gnome-power-manager knows nothing about it.  I suppose I could fix the
> hotkeys with acpid handlers if necessary.

Try the load/unload video.ko trick, first.

  Henrique Holschuh