Re: ThinkPad X61 backlight brightness glitches

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> But you don't have to wait for fixes anywhere to use your backlight.  Here's
> what you can do:
>
> 1. load latest thinkpad-acpi in whichever way you want (with or without
> backlight interface).  It will work well enough, AFAIK.
>
> 2. load and then *UNLOAD* the ACPI video module.  This will place the
> thinkpad in ACPI backlight mode.

I hooked into rc.sysinit to do this fairly early during boot.
thinkpad_acpi has already been loaded but no userspace daemons have been
started yet.  I verify that thinkpad_acpi is loaded, then load video,
then unload video.  I have a 5-second delay after each of these three
steps so I can visually inspect the script's output and confirm that the
modules are loading and unloading as expected.

I now have no detectable sign of the brightness keys being pressed at
all.  If haldaemon is running, "lshal --monitor" reports nothing when I
press these keys.  If acpid is running, "acpi_listen" reports nothing
when I press these keys.  The contents of /proc/acpi/ibm/brightness,
/sys/class/backlight/thinkpad_screen/brightness, and
/sys/class/backlight/thinkpad_screen/actual_brightness to not change
when I press these keys.  Nothing.

I appreciate all the help you've been giving me, Henrique.  But this
workaround recipe is definitely not doing what you expected it to do.
:-(  Any other ideas?