Re: leds during software suspend (uswsusp)

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
> > So, either something is messing with ACPI in a way that causes the firmware
> > to change LED state, or something in userspace is screwing off with
> > thinkpad-acpi (unlikely).
>
> userspace is frozen at the point.

I sure hope so.

> Maybe firmware decides to do this... Is there any way to revert it?

It is not that simple.  It is nothing thinkpad-acpi does, if a change in the
ACPI subsystem changed the way these things are happening, then you will
have to open a bug in bugzilla.kernel.org.

> > You can add debug printk commands in the LED write paths of thinkpad-acpi,
> > to check if something is calling those paths after snapshot.
>
> This is the problem... During suspend all is frozen... it is very hard
> to debug....

You get all printk when you resume.  Then you will know the answer.

> I am not sure if I can do printk at all...

Yes, you can.

> Do you use software suspend? Can you reproduce this?

No, not anymore. Linux software suspend (all incarnations) under ACPI is
just broken by design, and it will take a LOT of effort to fix it (the real
design problem is in the resume path, which does very, very unsafe things to
an ACPI system).  I don't trust my data to it.

  Henrique Holschuh