[Fwd: Re: Mute & power button and other hotkeys not working on T61]

(This is a forward of my original message + some additions as the original
message seems to have disappeared from the mailing list archive and I'm not sure
it ever arrived on the list at all.)

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh schrieb am 22.11.2007 10:55:
> On Thu, 22 Nov 2007, Jens Rutschmann wrote:
>> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote on 21.11.2007 23:34:
>>> BIOS or kernel ACPI bug.
>>>
>>> In both cases, try with 2.6.22 and 2.6.23 first, with the latest
>>> thinkpad-acpi patch from ibm-acpi.sf.net, and an extra patch you will find
>>> in the linux-thinkpad ML that changes KEY_BRIGHTNESS_UP/DOWN to KEY_RESERVED
>>> in the default keymap for Lenovo thinkpads.
>> OK, I'll try those versions of the vanilla kernel then. Do you know something
>> more specific about this patch on the mailinglist ? I searched the October and
>> November archives for it but couldn't find it.
>
> Just edit by hand, then. Look for BRIGHTNESS_UP and when you find the keymap
> with it (you *will* know it is the keymap :p), change the BRIGHTNESS_UP/DOWN
> entries to KEY_RESERVED.

OK, I did some testing with these kernels:

2.6.22.14
    + thinkpad-acpi-0.18-20071112_v2.6.22.12
    + manually changed KEY_BRIGHTNESSUP & KEY_BRIGHNTESSDOWN -> KEY_RESERVED

2.6.23.8
    + thinkpad-acpi-0.18-20071112_v2.6.23.1
    + uvesafb-0.1-rc3-2.6.23-rc-3
    + manually changed KEY_BRIGHTNESSUP & KEY_BRIGHNTESSDOWN -> KEY_RESERVED

I could get an event in showkey for the mute button when using kernel 2.6.22.14.
This does not work with 2.6.23 and 2.6.24-rc3. Since you were writing in another
email on the list that the volume keys are no longer reported through ACPI this
is probably a BIOS bug.

The power button works on neither kernel. I wonder if it is supposed to trigger
an ACPI event.

For the other buttons it seems that Xorg is interfering. When I shut X down I'm
suddenly getting acpi events for the ThinkVantage button and FN+Space. They emit
events in showkey as well. When restarting X these events are no longer
triggered. Also the FN+F7 combination emits an event in showkey as long as X is
not running.

I have Xorg 7.3 with xorg-server 1.4 installed here and use the nvidia beta
drivers 169.04.

Another weird thing is that brighntess_up (FH+Home) additionally triggers
acpi-event "ibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 00001010"

Any ideas ?

Thanks,
Jens