Re: Mute & power button and other hotkeys not working on T61

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007, Jens Rutschmann wrote:
> I run a kernel 2.6.24-rc3 patched with corresponding zen-sources
> (http://zen.waninkoko.info/patches/2.6.24/), they update the thinkpad_acpi
> driver to version 0.18.

0.18-what?

And 2.6.24 is rather broken ATM.

> The problems:
> The mute button does nothing. I tried to catch events with xev, showkey and
> acpi_listen.
> The Volume+/- buttons do create proper key events in contrast.

Likely a BIOS bug.

> The power button does nothing, too.

BIOS or kernel ACPI bug.

In both cases, try with 2.6.22 and 2.6.23 first, with the latest
thinkpad-acpi patch from ibm-acpi.sf.net, and an extra patch you will find
in the linux-thinkpad ML that changes KEY_BRIGHTNESS_UP/DOWN to KEY_RESERVED
in the default keymap for Lenovo thinkpads.

> Some of the FN-Fx combinations do not work as expected:
> table created after "echo enabled > /proc/acpi/ibm/hotkeys" and "echo 0xffff >
> /proc/acpi/ibm/hotkeys"

The above is wrong if you want all keys, and you don't need to do anything
to get they working properly by default, either [with the patch in the
linux-thinkpad ML, otherwise, you have to disable the brightness up/down
keys in thinkpad-acpi hotkey_mask, or you have to use input-kbd to remap
them to KEY_RESERVED (keycode 0)].

It is no wonder it doesn't work well after such commands.  Read the
documentation for thinkpad-acpi that is in the
Documentation/thinkpad-acpi.txt file.

> FN+F4    223*        00001004*    142*
> FN+F10    FN is shown**    no reaction    143***
> FN+F12    165*        0000100c*    205*
>
> *  keys work only sometimes, i.e. after some time again, but never two times
> consecutivly.

This is correct, and it is behaviour defined in firmware.  These are sleep
keys.  They do NOT have to send events more than once at all.  It is in the
documentation.

> ** while holding the key down, a *lot* of keypress events are triggered.

I have no idea what is causing this. BIOS bug, most likely.

> *** key release is only recognized when releasing FN.

BIOS/EC firmware behaviour.  Nothing I can do about it, but you can complain
to Lenovo and ask for a fix.

> What can I do to get at least the Mute and Power button working ?

Try kernel 2.6.22.y latest.  If that works, try 2.6.23.y latest.  If that
doesn't work, we can try debugging things further, but it is extremely
likely you have a BIOS or EC firmware bug, or that 2.6.24-rc is hosed.

The volume keys do NOT go through thinkpad-acpi on the T61 with the latest
BIOS and EC firmware, unless it is in NVRAM poll mode (which is likely to
cause all sort of weirdness, as the keys will be reported twice since the
BIOS/EC is sending them over the normal keyboard controller).

  Henrique Holschuh