Re: "auto" fan level not working on Z61t?

On 7/23/07, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jul 2007, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 Jul 2007, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
> > >  short version: when set to "auto" fan never accelerates beyond 2800.
> > > CPU can get very hot.
> >
> > Two possibilites:
> >
> > 1. The EC auto mode in your ThinkPad is crap.  If this is the real problem,
> > you will need to file a warranty request with Lenovo to fix the EC firmware.
>
> What is notably absent from your DSDT is any sort of thermal override for
> the fan, which suggests they expect emergency mode (level 7) to be entered
> in some other way.  Which way, I wouldn't know.  Maybe ACPI thermal zones do
> it.

Thank you for your analysis. I'm now using tp-fancontrol script from ThinkWiki
to protect my laptop from thermal dead.
I never did any support request with Lenovo and don't know how. Situation
may be complicated further by fact that I moved from country where this
laptop was bought and international warranty don't cover my current
country of residence.

  Anyway, that's unbelievable that manufacturer could cripple working
firmware so much, putting laptop in danger of overheating. But on the
other hand, that exactly "legendary" quality that Chinese manufacturers
are known of.

--
Tomasz Torcz
zdzichu@xxxxxxxxx