Re: "auto" fan level not working on Z61t?

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
>  short version: when set to "auto" fan never accelerates beyond 2800.
> CPU can get very hot.

Two possibilites:

1. The EC auto mode in your ThinkPad is crap.  If this is the real problem,
you will need to file a warranty request with Lenovo to fix the EC firmware.

2. The EC doesn't have an auto mode or the auto mode is enabled in a
different way, and the safety net is getting the fan set to level 4.

Note that auto mode "normal" speed *is* level 4, so verifying that 2800 RPM
is level 4 in your ThinkPad might not help much.

Please send me the dmidecode and acpidump output for your thinkpad. Remember
to XXX-out the UUID and serial numbers in the dmidecode output.

> I'm using Ubuntu Feisty kernel with IBM ThinkPad ACPI Extras v0.13. Is
> this non-working
> "auto" deficiency known and fixed in later releases?

No, but later releases have better support for your ThinkPad in other areas,
so you might want to try out the 0.15 release I just sent out if it will
apply to your kernel.  For maximum compatibility, do *not* enable
thinkpad-acpi's input layer by default.

  Henrique Holschuh