Re: Bug on ibm-acpi and hal regarding brightness keys

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> 1. Is the BIOS a 2.x version? If it is, make sure you are running the latest
> version first, please.

Hmm.. according to Lenovo/IBM web pages the latest BIOS for my X60
tablet is 1.09. What I have is 1.04. How do these versions relate to
2.x?

> 2a. Boot machine in single user mode, do NOT change brightness in any way
> yet.

I booted to my miniroot and the brightness control works (Fn+Home/End
changes brigthess level) without ibm-acpi/video/hal/hotkey-setup/gnome
but of course without ibm-acpi I cannot observe any indications about
what the SW thinks about the level :-)

> 2b. rmmod video, modprobe ibm-acpi (if not loaded), make sure HAL is not
> running.
>
> 2c. test brightness keys and /proc/acpi/ibm/brightness functionality.
>
> It should work just fine, from reports of some X60 owners.

For me the control works (i.e. Fn+Home/End changes brigthess level)
but the _indication_ in /proc/acpi/ibm/brightness stays unchanged. I
can also control the brightness via echoing to
/proc/acpi/ibm/brightness and then (as expected) the indication also
changes.

> 2d. modprobe video
>
> 2e. test brightness keys and /proc/acpi/ibm/brightness
>
> It is expected to break in weird ways.  If it does, blacklist video.  If it
> doesn't, please tell me so.

For me modprobing video does not change the behaviour. Control works,
indication does not.

> 2f. rmmod video again, make sure brightness keys are working fine, or just
> reboot into single user mode again, and make sure video is not loaded.

If I rmmod video, the control does not work any more. If I modprobe
video again, the control starts to work again. But the control does
work without video module before it is loaded for the first time!

> 3. load up HAL, and *only* HAL (not gnome)
>
> 4. test brightness functionality. Do they work fine?

Same as before - control works, indication not.

--
http://www.iki.fi/~ananaza/